Thanksgiving week hours:
Tuesday - Wednesday: 1pm - 5pm
Tuesday - Friday: 1pm - 5pm
Saturday: 11am - 5pm
Sunday - Monday: Closed
Research and class visits available by appointment only. Contact us to schedule.
Archives Reading Room Rules
New to archival research? Check out :
The vast majority of the materials in our archival collections are unique and irreplaceable. The Library and Archives needs your help in caring for these materials in order to protect and preserve them for future generations of researchers. In order to accomplish this, we ask that you follow these simple rules for working in the Archives Reading Room with our archival materials:
In order to access archival materials in our collections, researchers will need:
- A valid Researcher Card
- To complete the Archives Orientation
- To follow all Archives Reading Room procedures
The following items can be brought into the Archives Reading Room by researchers. All other items must be stored in a locker outside of the room.
- Sweaters, sweatshirts (indoor wear)
- Religious head coverings, small silk or other indoor scarves
- Pocket-size wallets
Notes and Related Materials
- Research notes on loose leaf paper, or on paper or notecards supplied by staff
- Research-related publications from our library collection
- Pencils and mechanical pencils
The following items may not be brought into the Archives Reading Room by researchers. All of these items must be stored in a locker outside of the room. At the discretion of Library and Archives staff regarding the safety of our materials, you may be asked to store additional items in your locker. Please plan accordingly.
- Drink (including water)
- Hats, caps, scarves (outerwear)
- Purses, handbags, fanny packs, briefcases, suitcases, equipment bags, backpacks
- Boxes, containers of any kind
- Cell phones
- Cameras, camcorders
Notes and Related Materials
- Notebooks, notepads
- Binders, folders
- Pens, markers
- Post-It notes (unless stapled to your note pages)
We thank you for your cooperation and understanding, and we look forward to your visit!
Archives Reading Room Procedures
- Finding aids to archival collections are available in the online catalog. There is one networked computer terminal and two listening/viewing stations for patron use, as well as Wi-fi access in the Archives Reading Room. Additional computer terminals are available in the Library Reading Room.
- You must fill out the provided Call-Slips* for each collection from which you request materials.
- You are responsible for safeguarding the condition of the materials that are brought to you. You may only handle materials with clean, dry hands. Hand sanitizer is available. You must wear white gloves to protect photographic materials.
- You may remove from a cart, and open, only one (1) box or publication at any one time, including publications you brought with you or that you brought in from the Library Reading Room. You may remove, and open, only one (1) folder from a box at a time. Replace the folder with an orange OUT card. The folders in the box and the materials in the folder must be kept in the same order they were given to you.
- You may not mark, fold, or alter archival materials in any way. If folders in a box or pages in a folder appear to be out of order, missing, or damaged, alert staff. Materials should be laid flat on the table at all times. Do not use archival materials as support for taking notes.
- You may take notes but are not permitted to copy materials. Copy Slips are provided to flag items you wish copied. Staff can provide copies of a reasonable number of items, depending on the restrictions of the material and its condition. There is a fee for copies.
- See the Copy Request Form for additional information regarding restrictions due to copyright, donor agreements, and condition of originals. Each Copy Slip must be listed on the Copy Request Form. Copies must be paid for at the time the order is made. Only cash (exact change) or a personal check is an acceptable form of payment.
- See the Permission to Publish Form for information on using archival materials in publications (this includes web publications).
- You may not remove archival materials from the Archives Reading Room under any circumstances.
- You may not disturb other patrons in the Library and Archives.
- All archival materials must be returned to Archives Reading Room staff when you are finished using them, but no later than 4:30 p.m. A staff member will need to assess that nothing is missing or damaged before you are allowed to leave.
*All forms are available in the Archives Reading Room and can be downloaded below.